Why I need a Hip Replacement - Part 3

Bonjour all,
If you’ve been on this journey with me about my hip replacement I just want to say thank you! Honestly I really mean it when I say your support means the world.

We are now on part 3 and you think it would be straight forward for a hip replacement eh. Not in my case.

If you read my last blog post in this series, I mentioned that something happened on 12th May which halted my surgery. I also mentioned that I was provisionally booked back in again for attempt number 2 of my surgery that was due to happen on 1st August….

A lot has happened since I wrote my last blog post. If you haven’t read part 1 and part 2, click the buttons below to get upto date.

Ok so following on from part 2, I finally got a telephone appointment on Friday 7th July to speak to my Cardiologist regarding my results and whether or not I would be fit for surgery. It was fantastic news!!! My heart is completely healthy and wasn’t weakened due to my cardiac arrest. The relief I felt was incredible!!! He said I was one luckily lady and it was a miracle at how well I have recovered. He deemed me fit for surgery and was going to get a letter sent to my GP and also the hospital I had chosen for my surgery. What a relief!!!

On Tuesday 11th July, my husband came with me to my chosen hospital for my pre-op assessment appointment. I was feeling good but to be completely honest, I was petrified. You see, since the event on 12th May I have been suffering worse with my anxiety. Intense panic attacks and nightmares. I was understandably, an absolute wreck. But with the unwavering support from my husband, I had the strength and courage to get me through.

My pre-op went ok-ish. Because I was there not that long ago, it was pretty straight forward. I had my bloods done again, ecg etc. All was fine. I did start to get upset as we then got onto the subject of the day of my surgery. The investigation report still hadn’t been completed either so it was all abit confusing. After a while, another nurse went to get the theatre manager so she could explain abit more to me. She explained that it would be General Anaesthetic, then Local Anaesthetic and then Pain Management. I did leave that appointment feeling relieved and calm.

A few days later, I received a call from one of the nurses and she asked if we could travel over as the Anaesthetist would like to meet me in person. I was told this appointment is for me to ask any questions and for him to take me through surgery day. I felt more at ease. This was a different Anaesthetist to the first time. Anyway, we went the following week and it wasn’t really like the nurse had said….
The Anaesthetist said he would want me to have an drug allergy test before surgery. Fair enough. I was on the assumption this would be done asap seen as my surgery was due to happen in less than 2 weeks. However, if the test came back positive, then my surgery would be done with solely General Anaesthetic and Pain Management. I wouldn’t be able to have the Local as they didn’t know if I would have an allergy to that as it was linked to the drug I reacted with. I was abit baffled as the Local Anaesthetic is one I generally have when I go to my dentist. But anyway, I asked if the test could be done prior to surgery. The Anaesthetist didn’t know how long it would be until I got the appointment. Howver I didn’t realise how the drug allergy test was done until the nurse told me afterwards. When I was told how it is done, I refused point blank. If I had a slight reaction on 12th May then maybe, but this is the drug that stopped my heart. No way was that coming near me. So the plan was to do it without the local.

All was good up until Monday 24th July (7/8 days until surgery) I received a call to say my surgery was cancelled. I was in bits. Literally. But also relief was there too. The Medical Chief (I think that’s what they said) had decided that it wasn’t a good idea for me to have my surgery there. It wouldn't matter if I had the allergy test. At the private hospital they don’t have specialist care, or an Intensive Care Unit incase I react with something again. I get it. I do. They want to keep me safe. I want to be safe. My husband and my kids want me to be safe. But why didn’t they decide this sooner? I get my hopes up again, to be shattered.

Please note, I currently cannot walk without aids. When we go to hospital appointments I have to use a wheelchair. I can’t stand up straight. I am on some seriously strong pain relief and that barely works. My husband has basically taken on my role within the home, aswell as going to work. I have to rely on my in-laws to pick Freya up from school. My husband and my eldest daughter take it in turns to take Freya to school. The list is endless.

I have good days and bad days.

Luckily, I am very strong willed. I am not one to sit and wallow. I am determined to have my hip replacement. I want to walk again, I will walk again. I will have my life back. I am a firm believer in everything happens for a reason. There have been situations where I have thought ‘I’m not meant to have this surgery yet’ and as it now turns out, it’s not happening yet. It wouldn’t be so bad if I could do most things myself like walk up the stairs (I have to use a stairlift) or get in the shower on my own. But it is what it is. I know and I trust that this won’t be like this forever. It will happen. I just don’t know when.

I have now been referred back to the trust as the other private hospitals wouldn’t take me. I have no idea when I will get my surgery.
On the plus side and the positive I have taken from it - I will be going to an amazing and clean hospital (it’s the hospital I was transferred to after my cardiac arrest and who kept me alive) anddddd I get to keep my original surgeon. I will have specialists at my fingertips if anything was to happen (I am hopeful everything will be smooth sailing).

Recently, I received an appointment to go to the hospital for a meeting on 28th September to the new main hospital. To some it’s a long wait, but to me it’s not. As much as I want a new hip, I need some time. I’ve been through so much. Mentally, emotionally and physically.

Since my surgery was cancelled, the panic attacks stopped, the nightmares stopped. I can relax for abit now. Give myself time to heal. It will happen, it’s just at the moment there is abit of a detour. But I know this time, I will be safe and that’s what matters.

If you’ve got this far, thank you!!!!

Once I’ve had that appointment in September, I will update you all in Part Four. Wish me luck!

Until next time,
Take care
Hannah xx




Leave a comment on this post

Thank you for for the comment. It will be published once approved.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.